BDA Good Practice
Around 30% of us clench our teeth whilst we sleep. This is known as Bruxism. This can unknowingly be the cause of headaches and tension in the neck and shoulders. Common signs of Bruxism are worn down or chipped teeth.
Your dentist may be able to see if you clench or grind your teeth, although sometimes it may go untreated for a long period of time. Some of the symptoms include:
- Headaches or jaw/neck pain, especially in the morning
- Notice of wearing down of your teeth
- Damage to dental restorations without any apparent reason, e.g. crowns or fillings
- Tender temple/jaw muscles
- Discomfort whilst chewing
- Jaw makes a clicking sound
If occlusal splint is worn at night it could reduce the tensing of jaw muscles and reduce the risks associated with Bruxism.